The “Steirische Hundesportklub” (STHK) is the oldest dog club in Austria and was founded in 1884 by Earl Franz of Meran (son of Erzherzog Johann). The reason was to improve the breeds.
In 1929 the club was named “Steirischer Hundesport-Klub”.
In 1935 on 14th/15th September an International dog exhibition was held in Graz with 318 dogs entered.
In 1954 the first International dog exhibition was held in Graz after the Second World War.
Under the direction of Otmar von Villefort (from 1959 to 1980) and Erwin Deutscher (from 1980 to 1998) the “Steirische Hundesportklub” developed steadily upward. In 1998 Gerd Weiß took over board , followed by Günter Wonisch in 2012.
Every year the “Steirische Hundesportklub” organizes the Breed Dog Exhibition in Graz . About 2.500 dogs are entered from around 250 different breeds. The exhibitors travel from more than 20 European countries. It is in the truest sense an International show !
The “Steirische Hundesportklub” is a general association, which is not an association specialized in breeding.
The most important task is the dog education, dog sports and ringtraining. An important point is also the reconnaissance work to improve the relationship between dog owners and all other persons, compliance with all legal regulations and the animal welfare law. This is why the “Steirische Hundesportklub” is constantly striving to cultivate the basis for discussion with appropriate politicians, veterinarians and opinions.