The Styrian Dog Sport Club (STHK) is the oldest dog club in Austria and was founded in 1884 by Count Franz of Meran (son of Archduke Johann). The reason was to improve the breed..
In 1929 the club was named “Steirischer Hundesport-Klub”.
In 1935 an International dog exhibition was held in Graz on 14th/15th September with 318 dogs entered.
In 1954 the first International dog exhibition was held in Graz after the Second World War.
Under the direction of Otmar von Villefort (from 1959 to 1980) and Erwin Deutscher (from 1980 to 1998) the Styrian dog sports club developed steadily upward. In 1998 Gerd Weiss took over board, followed by Günter Wonisch in 2012.
Every year the Styrian Dog Sports Club organizes the Breed Dog Exhibition in Graz . About 2.500 dogs are entered from around 250 different breeds. The dog owners travel from more than 20 European countries. It is, in the truest sense an International show !
The Styrian dog sporting club is a general association, that is not a special association specialized only in breeding, training, etc.
The most important task is the dog education, dog sports and ringtraining. An important point is also the reconnaissance work to improve the relationship between dog owners and all other persons, compliance with all legal regulations and the animal welfare law. This is why the Styrian Dog Sport Club is constantly striving to cultivate the basis for discussion with appropriate politicians, veterinarians and opinions.